Thursday, July 19, 2007

July's Food Recommendation

With temperatures soaring to record highs, I'm beginning to develop a real craving for a dish I had over two years ago while in Seoul. It was my first experience with Korean cuisine; I have not had it since - I haven't been able to find it here in Singapore (if anybody knows, please TELL ME!).

I'd strongly recommend it to anybody who, like me, is suffering under the intense heat and humidity of July.

Widely believed to be a cure for numerous physical ailments, samgyetang (삼계탕) is also an excellent remedy for a hot summer. Consisting of a whole young chicken stuffed with glutinous rice, and boiled in a delicious broth of Korean ginseng, dried jujube fruit, garlic and ginger, its nutrients are thought to replace those that are easily lost through excessive perspiration during the hot summer months. Do note that only whole uncut ingredients are used for the dish, as they preserve the maximum amount of nutrients.

Mildly fragrant, the soup is delicious and the chicken tender - a most appetizing dish for any time of year!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Mmmmmm. My Korean mother-in-law cooked this up just this past weekend. It works wonders.

Thu Jul 19, 03:09:00 am 2007  
Blogger The Hymn Selector said...

I know of a Korean restaurant here in a suburban area of KL serving it. The picture itself looks yummy.

Thu Jul 19, 11:47:00 pm 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds delicious!

Fri Jul 20, 02:16:00 am 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does indeed.

Wed Jul 25, 06:07:00 pm 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home