Thursday, August 17, 2006

A Book Meme

This book meme has been floating around the blogosphere for quite a while now and it's finally my turn to do it! I was memed by Mimi.

I haven't read books in a while - most of my readings are done on the Internet nowadays. I may just be inspired to pick up a book after doing this meme. Thanks Mimi!

1. One book that changed your life:
After Jesus: The Triumph of Christianity, published by Reader's Digest
Had I not come across this book, I might never have discovered Apostolic Christianity and in the process, making many new friends and enjoying wonderful experiences.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
Horrible Histories: Rowdy Revolutions by Terry Deary
There are probably other books I've read more than once, but as of late, I seem to be reading this one over and over again.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
I can’t possibly imagine that one book I'd choose to take with me to spend eternity on a desert island - I’ll have to go with the easy answer and say the Bible (preferably The Orthodox Study Bible).

4. One book that made you laugh:
The Orthodox Eastern Church by renowned Catholic scholar, Adrian Fortescue
The jurisdictional problems in Orthodoxy highlighted in this highly educational books were simply hilarious - the Cypriot schism of the 1900s due to the rivalry of the two Cyrils, for example.

5. One book that made you cry:
It sounds a little odd, but it was this little book that wrung tears from me -
A Pocket Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians (1956), published by the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

6. One book that you wish had been written:
A World Without Protestants - alternate history fiction =P

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
I can only choose one book? I'm going to cheat on this one and state all the books I wish had never been written (in no particular order):
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin
The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln
Justine (The Misfortunes of Virtue) & Dialogue Between a Priest and a Dying Man; both books written by the Marquis de Sade

8. One book you're currently reading:
Introducing the Orthodox Church by Anthony M. Coniaris
It's back to the basics for now...

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
The Spiritual Life by St Theophan the Recluse
I received this book from Australia some months ago, but I've only managed to read up till the sixth chapter before giving up. I ought to pick it up and read it soon.

I'm tagging Julia, Edward, Kenny, Royston and Norman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

You are welcome! What an interesting list, especially your first answer - I think I'd like to read that one.

Fri Aug 18, 03:15:00 am 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home